Fuel for the Road: Flapjacks
Fuel for the Road!
Personal trainer, Tracy Griffen, who will be participating in Etape Caledonia 2018 has provided us cyclists with a great and easy recipe for flapjacks which are great to keep handy for extra energy when you are training.
50g butter, melted
100g soft brown sugar, I prefer less
1 free range organic egg (as happy hens lay better eggs)
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
150g porridge oats
50g plain flour
100g raisins / dried cranberries / sunflower / pumpkin seeds / mixed nuts
1 dessertspoon of golden syrup (optional)
1. In a bowl, mix butter and soft brown sugar. Add the egg and mix.
2.Weigh the plain flour straight into the bowl, add baking powder and mixed spice and mix.
3. Now add porridge oats and seeds / dried fruit, (I like sunflower seeds and dried cranberries). Mix well together. If you have any golden syrup, a dessertspoon here will ensure they stay soft and chewy, but it's not vital.
4. They are now ready to cook. You can use 12 paper cupcake cases, or spoon directly into a lightly greased muffin tray. Alternatively, you can use a baking tray, but wait until the flapjacks are completely cold before cutting them up.
5. Bake at 150 degrees for around 15 minutes. They are nicer underdone rather than too crunchy.
6. Cool and wrap individually.
Find 75 more easy healthy recipes in Tracy’s Healthy Living Yearbook, available at www.healthylivingyearbook.com