Stay up-to-date with everything Etape Caledonia in our News section. We will use this page to update you with exciting event weekend announcements, interesting stories & updates. So check back regularly to stay in the know.
Announcing our new ambassador...
Mark Beaumont, who recently broke the record for cycling round the world in 78 days – 44 days shorter than the previous record – will be present during the event weekend to share his inspirational stories, cycling experiences and passion for the sport through a series of Q&A’s, book signings and meet and greets.
Mark Beaumont said, ‘I am delighted to be returning home to Perthshire to support the Etape Caledonia - these are the roads that I first cycled at the age of 12 and this was my training ground for taking on the World in 80 Days. I am proud to see thousands of riders from all over the World, descending on Pitlochry to take on this stunning route.’
the aberfeldy time trial
The Aberfeldy TT is an exciting new 20km time trial event which will complement the Etape Caledonia mass participation sportive. The time trial offers a low-key friendly event ideal for first timers. The event also is an ideal opportunity for friends and families of Etape riders to have their own weekend challenge.
The time trial offers a chance for Etape Caledonia riders to give their legs a short, fast work out; excellent preparation for their Sunday race.
Each rider will be allocated a start time and you must sign on 30 minutes before your allotted start time.
The event will start from Highland Safaris, Aberfeldy, Perthshire AB15 2JQ.
The aberfeldy cinema
The Birks Cinema in Aberfeldy is a lively hub, owned by the community and created for visitors and local people. They show the latest films with state of the art projection and sound in a comfortable 104 seat auditorium. There’s a licenced bar and café with coffee, snacks and home baked cakes.
If you find yourself in the area training or enjoying some of the best cycling routes be sure to check out the cinema. For more information on films and timings check out their website www.birkscinema.co.uk
Pro Cycling Trump Cards at Etape
Pro Cycling Trumps produce cycling trump card games and art prints featuring your favourite cyclists from the pro peloton. They can create customised prints for you featuring your kit and bike. Find them at procyclingtrumps.com
Make sure you pick an exclusively designed trump card at this year's Etape Caledonia!
Our 2018 premium jerseys
In celebration of our new look we are giving all that cyclists who have booked a premium place an exclusive cycling jersey. We wanted to provide something that celebrated the new look for Etape Caledonia 2018 and also remained classic and stylish. We hope you like it!
cycling caps for all participants
Everyone who enters Etape Caledonia 2018 will receive a specially designed cycling cap to wear as part of your ticket package. We love the design. We hope you do too! To get your free cycling cap all you need to to is secure your place at Etape Caledonia 2018.
Therapy clinic at Etape Caledonia
Athlete’s Angels will be available again in 2018 during Etape Caledonia weekend. Athlete’s Angels will be available on Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th May and will provide massage treatments to riders taking part in this amazing event.
There are so many benefits to both pre and post event massages. Pay just £10 for 10 minutes – well worth it!
They will be accepting card and cash payments on the day and will take card payments for advance bookings.
To book your treatment, please email email@example.com
Fuel for the road: Flapjacks
Personal trainer, Tracy Griffen, who will be participating in Etape Caledonia 2018 has provided us cyclists with a great and easy recipe for flapjacks which are great to keep handy for extra energy when you are training.
50g butter, melted
100g soft brown sugar, I prefer less
1 free range organic egg (as happy hens lay better eggs)
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
150g porridge oats
50g plain flour
100g raisins / dried cranberries / sunflower / pumpkin seeds / mixed nuts
1 dessertspoon of golden syrup (optional)
1. In a bowl, mix butter and soft brown sugar. Add the egg and mix.
2.Weigh the plain flour straight into the bowl, add baking powder and mixed spice and mix.
3. Now add porridge oats and seeds / dried fruit, (I like sunflower seeds and dried cranberries). Mix well together. If you have any golden syrup, a dessertspoon here will ensure they stay soft and chewy, but it's not vital.
4. They are now ready to cook. You can use 12 paper cupcake cases, or spoon directly into a lightly greased muffin tray. Alternatively, you can use a baking tray, but wait until the flapjacks are completely cold before cutting them up.
5. Bake at 150 degrees for around 15 minutes. They are nicer underdone rather than too crunchy.
6. Cool and wrap individually.
Find 75 more easy healthy recipes in Tracy’s Healthy Living Yearbook, available at www.healthylivingyearbook.com
race pack delivery
You told us and we listened... Riders now have the choice to get their race packs sent to them in advance of the race for a small charge. The option to collect your race pack in person is still available, free of charge.
Group rates at Etape caledonia
Etape Caledonia is a great event to take on with a big group of friends or colleagues. Cycle 81 miles of closed roads and enjoy the scenery with good friends. Push each other along until you all reach the finish line and can celebrate your achievement together in the event village. If you are interested in a corporate package or are a group interested in taking on the ride for 2018, get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org for a special group rate.
Top tips for Cycling in Winter
Personal trainer, Tracy Griffen, provides some tips for us when braving the cold on our bikes!
It’s a good idea to start your training early, however cycling in a British winter can be rather off-putting. Have no fear, here are some pointers for long bike rides in the cool weather:
Check the weather forecast, especially noting wind speed and direction. It’s good to be prepared.
Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back, and carry a phone with you.
- Layer up. Neoprene cycle-specific bib tights keep the wind out, however you can layer normal ‘active wear’. I like a merino base layer when it’s very chilly. Wear tops with zips for ventilation as required.
- Ensure you have adequate batteries in your lights.
- If you get chapped skin, try a greasy barrier cream on your face, and pop some lip balm in your pocket (men too!).
- Glasses (spectacles or sports glasses) can prevent your eyes from streaming in the cold.
- You may wish to use fatter tyres with more grip in icy conditions. Also let out some of the air in your tyres so they are squishier.
- Remember to eat well before cycling, you will need extra energy in cold conditions.
- Carry both slow burning (i.e. oatcakes, nuts / seeds) and fast-release (dried fruit, carb gels) snacks, perhaps more than you would for a summer jaunt.